St Ives by Barry Freeman ARPS DPAGB APAGB

© Reserved .  None of the images on this site are in the public domain - each member of IDPS reserves the copyright to his/her images  - they may not be downloaded or used for any purpose whatsoever.

Ipswich & District Photographic Society can trace its origins back to the very earliest days of photography.  On 6th March 1888 a number of keen photographers met to form the first Photographic Society in Ipswich.  

This first society was reformed as Ipswich Social Settlement Camera Club in June 1904 and this became the Ipswich and District Photographic Society in the late 1920s.  In 1988 the Society celebrated 100 years of club photography in Ipswich.

There have been regular annual exhibitions since 1926 and these have usually been opened by the Mayor of the Borough.  This has been a continuous tradition for over 40 years.  IDPS is proud of its long association with Ipswich Borough Council and with other Arts organisations in the area.  Over the years IDPS has had a number of prominent citizens and leading photographers of the day among its membership. These associations are represented by the names on the collection of IDPS cups and trophies which are awarded annually.

IDPS has always responded to the interests of its membership and in 1982 formed specialist sections for prints and transparencies.   There are now specialist groups for audio-visual, beginners, digital imaging, monochrome, and studio photography.

With over 100 members, IDPS continues to be one of the largest photographic societies in East Anglia and one of the leading photography clubs in the country.


Our History

IDPS Committee c.1900

IDPS Committee 2000

At Willy Lott’s Cottage, Flatford